Friday, September 19, 2008

I am a disabled student at CSULA (California State University Los Angeles).  Due to my disability I'm unable to use stairs, and thus use the elevators to reach classes that aren't on first floors.  Just outside of every elevator is a sign regarding fire safety.  I'm sure you are familiar with such signs.


After seeing this sign day after day, year after year I became inspired by it.  I was inspired not only by its ridiculous message, but even more so by its almost insulting bias.  So, as a any good graphic design student would do, I redesigned the sign so that its true message would be clearly understand.

7 comments:

JimmyMoss said...

I totally appreciate the humour, and the power of your redesign. Maybe more exploration of color would make it even a bit more potent....

Or maybe another one with a guy in a chair floating downstairs with a parachute?

B.Huitz said...

I really like the design you created, I would love to see these signs plastered around elevators across campus...I would try different color combinations and a different tagline.

Norik Pezeshkian said...

This is definitely an intriguing design. Well done. I agree, too, that you should just post these across campus to help educate others and open up some eyes.

Kevin said...

Hey Todd,

I saw these when you were in proseminar about a year back, and I have to say that I thought it was awesome then and I think that it's awesome now. I appreciate black humor wherever it appears.

But everyone knows it's spelled, " #^%& " It's more meaty that way. ;p

glam417 said...

Todd,
I really like this :) And I agree with Byron! You should try posting these up on campus.

Jennifer said...

That is so true. We probably do need a redesign of those sign. Looks good just maybe add some color.

Anonymous said...

Great design. CSULA admimistrative stuff need to see this to make better and convinient conditions for disabled students in case of emergency.